Owner Frank Cardoso and Erika Lange Local People serving the local community!
The Old Well Tavern is a multi-functional facility capable of hosting a wide range of different events. The facilities capacity maxes out at 280 and people can host two parties at once. During the week, the bar side operates as a sports bar, hosting two evenings of Pool Leagues. The Banquet room can accommodate up to 60 people, operating as a casual Private facility with separate rest rooms and a private bar. We usually host bands on the weekends but, only during the Fall, Winter and Spring Months. We also do off site catering, our Chef, Kenny, is very talented, being in the business for 20+ years..He can whip up almost anything you can think of for your party or event! Frankie's Food truck is our Pride and Joy! We can do on site catering, events, private parties and you can see Frank down at the Meadows in Simsbury during the summer concerts!
According to town records, Elihu Holcomb originally constructed our building for the Shubael Hoskins Jr. Family in the 1730's. The main structure filled the main bar area and half of the kitchen. It boasted ot only the second floor, but also a wrap around porch that has since been integrated into the bar area. After 1807, it was used for a short time as a "Shop and Barn" and eventually sold as a tavern in 1866. From that point it continued operating as a Stage Coach stop and roadhouse known as Old Knights Inn. During the 1880's the Higley Family operated it as a Tavern and a Brothel. Legend has it, a relative visited the Higley's from Utah. His name was Seth. He ended up staying for a few years and during the Blizzard of 1888, Seth had passed away. It was the custom to be buried in the basement until the Spring thaw. The only problem is that Seth didn't have any assets. And in the Spring, there was no money to give him a proper burial, so Seth is still in our basement where he was placed back in that winter of 1888. At the turn of the century, the building continued as a Tavern and Brothel until Prohibition in 1916. The name was forced to be changed to the King Philip Diner. In 1935, Mr. and Mrs. Arnold Daden bough the building and named it The Old Well. They doubled the size of the structure, the existing bar top is the 1935 original and in the SAME location as the bar top in 1860. After the flood of '55 Hopmeadow was moved to its current location, originally it went right by the front door! In 1973, the property was sold and eventually became known as The Inn Place...(a Bar and Music Venue) In 1982, Joe Pozzato bought the property, opened Gemini's Cafe and added the final expansion in '85 to encompass what was once the bar area. In the fall of 2003, Steven and Lisa Antonio bought the building and was known as The Lobster Barn. In December of 2005, Reno and Kristen Benson began Their Lease as Reno's Gathering Place..And in September of 2008...history continues as the tavern is now known as The Old Well Tavern!